Monday, April 6, 2009

Akko

Based at the Ein Gev Kibbutz on the sea of Galilee, we took day trips out to surrounding areas.  One day, we went to this port city named Acre/Akko.  It is just opposite Haifa if you know your Israel geography.   Akko was a port city in the Canaanite, Old and New Testmanet, Roman, and Crusader eras. On his way to Jerusalem, Paul (The apostle) stayed there at Akko with christian friends before getting arrested. 

We didnt use our headsets on this field trip, so we had time to get a feel for the city and kind of do our own thing. I learned some cool things, but don't really have a lot to pass on about this field trip.  Some of the gems I do want to share are about my friends: 

Chelsea Owens got a new hat.  And when she wears it with fluorescent parrot earrings, that girl is unbeatable.  I have begun calling Chels "rainbow" because you can count on the fact that she is always wearing at least 7 different colors.  
Chelsea Bigney is awesome.  She is such a crack up!  I don't know why I keep being surprised when she calls people out or says things bluntly.  I will never forget sitting in the shekel shaq one day with Chelsea and Money at like 2am, listening to Chelsea just lay into him.  She has no fear, and she is right most of the time.  Chelsea convinced me to clog with her for the talent show this coming Monday.  There's really no saying "no" to Chelsea Bigney :)
I would consider transferring to BYU-I so I could be close to Aleni.  She is just the most genuine, kind-hearted, yet spirited person.  Aleni really has her head on straight.  She has clear perspective and makes everything she does a fun time without being overdramatic.  (p.s. I am aware that the shirt I am wearing is the most haneous shirt of all time.  But if I brought it all the way to Israel, I figured I better wear it at least once.  Don't worry, I will donate it to gypsies at the end of the program.)
Whitney and I were roommates in Galilee.  She is organized and silly, but most of all, she is classy, and Whitney is humble.  Oh, and she knows how to listen.  Whit is doing so well at simultaneously enjoying every opportunity in Jerusalem while planning her June wedding. 
Beth Shearim is a memorial with ancient tombs of various rabbis.  I didn't really feel a special connection to any of them, but I sure had fun squeezing into the tombs and popping out to scare people as they passed!


Here are a few other pictures to give you a flavor of the day in Acre:


Do you use a coin purse?  The locals in Israel all seem to love their little jeweled bags.  

7 comments:

Noelle said...

Sounds fun. I don't think your shirt is heinous. So how many people over there are engaged right now?

Hermana Whitehead said...

You really have a way with words and are a very wonderful writer.

I have a little bag I put my contact lens in and I love it.

Have fun.

Bryan Tanner said...

Very fine. I'll have more commentary to offer later.

Marcindra LaPriel said...

Marcie's New Goal:
Pop out of a tomb and scare the pants off of some innocent tourist. SUCKA!

Julie T said...

I love having a coin purse but there's no room in my present purse for it- they're handy!

gwt said...

Does Chelsea Bigney know Hugh Bigney, my freshman roommate from Boston? or his family?

Thanks for sharing in photo and voice. Great story telling!

Bryan Tanner said...

I appreciate the time you spend to make special notes about each of the friends that influence you. I'm sure you and your kids will have a blast looking through this and making fun of your clothes