Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Isabella

Waiting in line for the Palm Sunday walk to begin, a girl in her mid-twenties approached me and started up a conversation. She was dressed similar to me, and just looked a little lonely or lost. I learned that she was here in the Holy Land with a tour group from Germany. The previous day, her group left for Petra, and she "accidentally" missed the bus. (This reminded me of how awesome it was to ditch the tour group in China and go on the greatest adventure of my life! Mom, you ROCK!) Isabella refused to be in the Holy Land during holy week, and miss the festivities of Palm Sunday. I could sense within moments her reverance for Christ and yearning to walk where He has walked.As our conversation continued, I learned that Isabella is part of a "community" of women, preparing to enter a convent within the year. It would take some guts and preparation for me to interview a full-on nun about her beliefs and background, but Isabella was very approachable and friendly. The fact that she wasn't wearing a headcovering and didn't seem at all demeaning put me at ease. I asked her why she wanted to be a nun, and how she developed such a pious devotion to God. We talked about her childhood, and the gospel, and her parent's influence on her desire to let the Lord into her life.

I don't know if I already told you this, but the church has an agreement with the Israeli government to not talk about the church at all. Proselyting is strictly prohibited; we can't bring up the church in conversation, and if people ask questions, we are required to tell them the policy and change the topic of discussion. Throughout my time in Israel, I have had several opportunities where I wished I could have given a pass along card, or invited someone to church, but none of those past experiences were as painful for me as this one. Isabella had such a sweet spirit, and I so wanted to help her discover the fulness of the gospel and share with her my beliefs as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Once we had been chatting for about 15 minutes, I asked her a question I have wondered for a few years now. In the most respectful way I knew how, I asked Isabella, "How do you justify living a celibate life... without the joys of a husband and children." She told me that her greatest desire is to commit her life to God. ALL of her time, talents, energies and dreams. I could see in her eyes how much she loved God and wants to know Him and honor Him. Without bringing the church into the conversation, I was able to testify of my mutual love for Heavenly Father, and share with her that I too want to devote my life to Him, and praise Him with my whole soul. Amidst the rucous singing and palm waving of surrounding Christians, we had a tender moment as I shared with her my desire to show my love to the Lord through raising children in the gospel.

Isabella taught me a few other life lessons that I least expected to learn from a future nun :) She looked right at me and said "You must let love into your heart."  Hmmm...  I was grateful for her inhibition in approaching me when she was lonely, and I hope never to forget Isabella's sweet spirit and the commonalities we share.

6 comments:

Heather said...

One of the very best parts of travel are the people you get to meet and ideas you exchange. What a wonderful opportunity for you both. I am glad you got to do the Palm Sunday processional. It is unlike any other experience I've had.

Noelle said...

You're really good at talking to strangers. That's neat you got to hear so much about her beliefs and ask her the questions you've been wondering so long. I've never talked to a nun (or an almost nun) before.

Marcindra LaPriel said...

This reminds me of when Brooke and I were in line at Chase's wedding reception. Brooke said, "Marcie, you go first."

Me: Why should I go first? You can go first.

Brooke: Because you are like Stefanie Tanner. You are just born to talk to people.

This quarter of an hour with Isabella is a testament that you truly are a people person. Talking to people is what Stefanies do best!

Julie T said...

I remember when I got in so much trouble from you, Stefanie for talking to strangers! And now you can't help yourself!! I'm glad you got to know each other.

gwt said...

Enjoy the enrichment of learning from others. What memories. Good thing you are keeping a journal (blog).

Bryan Tanner said...

"You must let love into your heart."

...and then she rolled up in to a tumble weed and dust and rolled off into the distant sun.