Friday, April 17, 2009

Ramadan

About a week ago we had a Ramadan feast at the center. We had 2 muezzin come and perform the call to prayer in our very own forum! I hear the call to prayer 5 times each day here in Jerusalem, the first being at 4am :) (sometimes taking pics with strangers feels natural. Sometimes, it's awkward. This time, it was really awkward!)


A translation of the first Surah is:
God is the greatest
I bear witness that there is no deity except God
I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Make haste towards worship
Come to the true success
Prayer is better than sleep
God is the greatest
There is no deity except God.

During the Islamic month Ramadan, Muslims abstain from food, drink, and smoking from sun up to sun down (and the really pious Muslims even refuse to smell perfume). My teacher once gave a donkey in the street his leftover pita, and the owner rushed up cursing at him; the local man wanted his donkey to celebrate Ramadan too! Most Muslims begin observing Ramadan at age seven. The muezzin said that just because they are so devout and start at such a young age, it is still HARD to fast for an entire month!

Something you should probably know about Ramadan is that the month changes- It is 10 days earlier each year :) So it STINKS when Ramadan falls in the summer when days are longer...

So we learned all about Ramadan and I discovered my undiagnosed ADD while listening to what seemed like an hour long call to prayer ( I have some cool video clips, but they were too long to post). Then, we got to eat dinner! The food was MUCH better than the Seder meal, but I did have a little adventure with the dessert. I accidentally ate some pineapple disguised in secret sauces and rice... It only took a few minutes before my tongue began swelling up. I refused help, but Elyse insisted on loading me up with Benadryl. I hate drugs. But when my tongue got so big that my breathing was comprimised, I was glad for Elyse's offering :)

6 comments:

Hermana Whitehead said...

But they can eat after sundown, right?

Wow, your tongue did swell up! Glad you took the Benadryl. I love your scarf!

Julie T said...

Dear Elyse! Where did you come from?! So glad you carry Bendryl, even if you only use it to treat others! Thank you and hope we meet this summer!

Bryan Tanner said...

That middle-eastern looking dude in the first picture is a terrorist, and I'm a judgmental racist.

You are a wearing a cool-looking, purple scarf.

"PRAYER IS BETTER THAN SLEEP."

Noelle said...

You're right. That first picture is pretty awkward. At least the purple scarf spices things up! You can never ever have pineapple without your tongue swelling? I didn't realize it was that serious! Sorry bout that!

Shawna said...

The guy is what's making the 1st picture awkward! I never knew you were allergic to pineapple! Pretty dramatic picture!

Marcindra LaPriel said...

Yeah, that whole tongue-puffing-up thing is a definite no bueno.

I love you.