Tuesday, January 13, 2009

One year ago today my Air New Zealand flight arrived in Auckland.

Now I am studying in Jerusalem. I am still learning and growing and adventuring, but I can't help but reflect on a remarkable experience on "the island of the long white cloud." I feel a bit guilty for missing New Zealand, considering that I am now surrounded by more history, culture, and tradition than I can fathom. But as one last shout out to New Zealand, I want to take some time today to reflect on the things I learned just last year. I am confidant in calling New Zealand my home, it is the place I have learned and grown the very most.

I loved being a member of the Invercargill branch. It was there that I gained my testimony of tithing, my patience for choir, and my love for saints all over the world who make the gospel priority in their lives. They taught me how to sacrifice and how to love.

I conquered my biggest fear while in NZ: Biking. Overall, I had a great experience with my bike "Skebanger" (meaning: rat chaser in Zoolu) and I can actually now say that I had fun biking everywhere I went. FYI: Headwinds are officially worse than rain.
I practiced doing hard things in New Zealand. Camping with 30 girls for 2 weeks isn't necessarily easy, and bungee jumping was by far the most thrilling thing I've ever experienced. I learned that the outdoors makes you honest. Your true character comes out when you are FREEZING on the top of a mountain. Fears are exposed and true character displayed as you conquer fears and do things that are hard. Work is rewarding. I have found that people are just more honest as they get in touch with the outdoors and ponder on their life and the Plan of Salvation. Heavenly Father’s creations make so obvious His existence and love for us.

That is me, in the yellow kayak flipped upside down. Talk to me about kayaking if you want some good laughs :) We were practicing our rescuing skills on our first day of class.
I really internalized the phrase, "Be a good friend to have a good friend." That’s just the way is goes! More communication is not always better, but healthy communication is NECESSARY! A true friend is someone you can just chat with. Someone who knows you. Someone who brings out the best in you. Someone who laughs at your jokes and someone with whom you share commonalities. A friend is someone who treats you well. Someone who walks the walk, not just talks the talk.
Cameron, Tyler and Ali. Yeah!
Attitude is everything… most of the time.You can make or break an activity or a day with attitude. Life is what you make it.
And last but not least, I learned that good gear is WORTH IT!
I love headlamps. I love quality shoes. I love rain gear. I love nalgenes. I love The North Face brand. I love all things REI. I love Outdoors Unlimited. I am envious of my friends who spent money on good sleeping bags.

But I think the best part about that 4 month stint in my life are the people who I shared it with. Those friends are dear to my heart and I refuse to ever forget the memories we made and laughs we shared.
And last but not least, I learned that life is what you make it. The greatest things I learned did not come from a classroom. It didn't come from textbooks. By no stretch of the imagination was my learning in New Zealand academic based. But it was the most difficult, the most rewarding, and the most enduring learning of my life.AROHANUI KIWIS!!!

8 comments:

Shawna said...

I think this is my all-time favorite blog of yours. I love your phrase "outdoors makes you honest". New Zealand really was good to you! My guess is that Jerusalem will be too, but in different ways. Hope you make a book of Jerusalem too!

Anonymous said...

Stefanie, that was a most revealing
and insightful blog that you have
ever posted. You really put yourself out there. New Zealand was a marvelous experience for you, but now it is time to let go
and soak in all the benefits of your new study program. Hope it turns out to be even better than New Zealand.

Julie T said...

Amen. Good on ya, New Zealand! And now Hurrah for Israel! You are SO fortunate to be doing both-they will be very different, but they both will make a more honest, compassionate, thoughtful person of you! I too, can't wait to see the photo journal that springs from Israel!

Noelle said...

I also loved this post. I'm so happy for you that you got to do TWO study abroad programs. Admit it......

Have so much fun and I hope you make just as many wonderful friendships and memories as you are hoping to. :)

Marcindra LaPriel said...

One last shout out to New Zealand?

I hope you were lying. I'll shout out to New Zealand til the day I day. I stilly thank God every day that I went. Yes, you can love Jerusalem. In fact, I expect you to. But you had better not love those people more than us!!!! *threatening glances from Katie JO, Megan, Kirsten and I*

I also FINALLY had enough time to read everything on this blog thus far. Wow. I'm happy to see reports of who you meet.

Oh, and good news: your brother picked up your bags :)
-Marcindra

PS This is the word I had to type in for verification: comeduc

For some reason that is a funny word to me.

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Stef...

I can't imagine it has been a year. This week has been full of reminiscing about the best time in my life...very bittersweet if you know what I mean.

I do wish you the best, but I sure hope that you don't love them more than us!!

I love you!!!

Elyse Marie said...

Now I know that the NZ people are cool and changed your life, but I would just like to say that the JC peeps are moving up in the world! Peons and Ritzies foreva!!! haha.

Bryan Tanner said...

Wow. Stef. I'm glad you did this post too. I feel like "Gratitude" posts are always the best.

I'm surprised your testimony of tithing developed in NZ. There must be a story behind growing patience for choir as well.