Monday, January 19, 2009

So... I made a bad choice.

I really do feel bad; my behavior was tactless. Nevertheless, I did make Jerusalem Center history and everything worked out okay in the end ☺ (Read: If I could relive the past I wouldn’t have done it, but I am quite satisfied.)
The first thing you must know is that Moon is quite the character. A group of girls once discussed the question “Which girl would you least want to meet in a dark alley? “ Everyone agreed that Moon is #1 most feared ☺

One fine evening after dinner at the Oasis (JC cafeteria) I got a glass of water. On my way back out to the eating area, my friends called me over. Moon grabbed my right forearm (in which I was holding the glass of water) and asked me some random, serious question, now irrelevant to the story… Amidst all the commotion, my water shook and almost spilt over the edge. This prompted my question, “Moon, what would you do if I splashed this water on you?” (In my mind it was simply a question, but I must admit, I did have flashbacks of a great water war with Tyler in Queenstown, NZ…) Moon’s reply, “Why don’t you try it and see?” sort of egged me on.

(As students we have been told countless times how the JC is a dedicated building and our behavior must always be aligned with good morals and to live gospel principles. Who said fun and games isn’t an element of the gospel?)

I just stood there, thinking about Moon’s reply when Elyse interrupted, “Stefanie’s not brave enough to throw water on you!”

And that was it. The entire cup of water escaped my hand and soaked Moon’s beautiful face and amazingly large hair. At that point, I really felt time slow down. I had a simultaneous sense of pride and shame as I watched Moon’s face turn in disbelief. Next thing I knew, the carrot muffin/cake was mushed into my face and ears. I knew I had started something serious and I knew I had to end it. So I just accepted the muffin as a peace offering and went to wash up in the kitchen. When I returned out to the dining area, people gave me faces of shock and awe.

This story would not be complete without praise to Elyse for handling the mop situation. Some water made it to the floor, where students could potentially slip while returning their food trays. Elyse battled communication barriers and worked it out for the water to be mopped up.

Moon took real revenge by getting a key from my roommate (who offered it up freely when Moon threateningly approached her) and stealing all my bedding, taking my most prized camera, and even snatching my backpack containing schoolbooks. How low is that? Luckily my pleading worked and all my belongings were returned to me.
Later on that evening I was approached by a senior missionary couple and reminded that we are in a sacred place… This is the part when she told me that “nobody in the history of the Jersusalem Center has done something so outrageous.” I doubt that. I apologized genuinely and profusely, promising to save that kind of rash behavior for the city. I think the senior sister was somewhat appeased ☺

Click here to read Elyse’s version of the story...

9 comments:

Joni said...

Little Steff guess who is reading your blog now.....The Wrights!

Make sure that you sign your name under the stage. You should be able to find mine in the very back corner. SHHHH don't tell.

Oh and I love your pictures.

Noelle said...

The food war could have been a WHOLE lot worse. I am very glad you made peace after the muffin smash but I'm sorry you got busted. Since she's a photography person, she knows how to hit below the belt---steal your camera....glad you got everything back and remember.... BE GOOD! Love ya! (I'm writing you a longee right now.)

the verification word is frullish. (kinda like foolish...)

NatalieD said...

So, is your name now etched on the "Naughty Wall?"

Abby Marie said...

ba HAHAHAHAHA. Good on you Stef! That is the greatest thing I've EVER heard. I wished so badly that you were in America the other day when I saw two people we both know well holding hands. Can you guess who? I wanted to call you but had to settle for Ben Ford. He's cool too though :).
P.S. the word verification I got to post this comment was: Unomyock. That is funny.

Julie T said...

Omigosh, Stef! I say nothing, just...don't get sent home, Pleeeeeaze! I'm not thinking "that kind of rash behavior works in the city " either the way it worked in New Zealand.

Marcindra LaPriel said...

So I just went through another "Reading Stefanie's Blogs" marathon. Is Jacob D. Curtis there? I am pretty sure I saw him in the picture of the merchants. Maybe I'm wrong. Whatever.

Scary air raids!

Kudos for seeing the dark side of the Moon....um, that was supposed to be a bit more funny but it just sounds lame.

Anonymous said...

Gulp.........My oh my, that must have been a moment. I can't even imagine how you must have felt when you realized what you did.
However, it sounds like you patched things up with everyone concerned. Good Girl.

Bryan Tanner said...

I knew missionaries who would do things like that; but they were all Elders.

Thanks for sharing :)

Heather said...

Um, I got into a food fight in the Oasis, but didn't get a talking to from any of the senior couples. Nobody stole my camera after though. It was just food for food. Stay out of hot water and guard your belongings...