Today was an awesome Shabbat. So awesome in fact that it gets a blog post all to itself :)
We have about 15 area authorities (+ wives) visiting the JC for the next few days. They are having a training conference here this week, and we get to rub shoulders with them! I ate with a couple originally from the Union HIll ward at dinner, played cards (don't worry about it, not face cards...) together on teams, and chatted about life and Jerusalem with them. Bishop H. David Burton is the one who gave our fireside tonight. There were definitely some nuggets worth remembering, but since I don't really get baseball, I sort of missed some of the analogies. The coolest part was when he left a blessing upon us. A blessing to be successful in our schoolwork, to learn of Christ as Living Water, to depend on the Holy Ghost, to find joy in His gospel and a blessing to be more appreciative of our privilege to be here for such an extended stay. The biggest thing I learned from Bishop Burton is to create moments to listen. Heavenly Father has great ways to use His tools, but only if we create sacred space and time to learn of His will.
I didn't bear my testimony at church today, but I did reflect on the things I know for myself, and on how my time in Jerusalem is affecting me.
I am having a great time here. I am making friends. I am having fun. I am making memories. I am learning about culture. I am understanding the scriptures on a deeper level than ever before. I spend my time doing good things. But I think what I need to be asking myself is:
HOW AM I CHANGING?
I want this experience to change me for the better. I want my perspective to change. I want to to have purer motives for good decisions. I want to learn about Christ's ministry and perfect sacrifice. But more than that, I want to change my habits to become a better disciple of Christ. The word "disciple" roots in the word discipline. I need to become a slave to good habits and refuse to let mediocrity satisfy me. I cannot be tempted to stay stagnant as I seek to become a better disciple of and tool for Heavenly Father. It hit me again today that I literally cannot afford to miss a day of scripture study, or an opportunity to listen for promptings from the Spirit.
I need to change.
Situational Irony
10 years ago
7 comments:
Don't we all!!! Well put. The older we get, the wiser we become and we realize what our parents told us all along about not leaving things to chance but making solid habits and sticking to them, doing your best, all that stuff comes home to roost! I'm very proud of you for that-you're much farther ahead than most your age and I wish you every success!
Stefanie Tanner,
That last paragraph is the most profound thing I've read in a long time. I'm printing it off and putting it on my wall as we speak.
You inspire me.
Stefanie, you and Bishop Cahoon shared the same insight- you in your blog and him in his talk at R3Ward Conf. I agree that one of the hardest things to do in becoming a disciple is apply the discipline of repeatedly doing and saying and thinking good things. Keep up the good work - the daily drip of scripture nurishment will pay incredible dividends!
Great post, Stefanie! Change is possible and necessary, but harder than it "looks." I wish you and me luck in that area!
I need to change too. Hopefully we are always changing and growing closer to the people God intends us to become. Great insights.
This is a great post. This reminds me a lot of one of the articles from this month's ensign actually. Elder Stahlie asks us to consider how we are improving each day. I think setting goals is the only way. Way to BE Stef!
Yes, I can!
What a wonderful Shabbot! I can't believe the spiritual-good-times! Bishop Burton! He's the man!
Post a Comment