Lent is the 40 day fast in preparation for Easter. This liturgical period represents the time Jesus spent fasting and enduring temptation in the desert. Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and concludes on Holy Saturday. (Sundays don't count because each Sunday represents a "mini-Easter," a celebration of Jesus' victory over death.) According to Wikipedia (the source of all truth, right?) the purpose of lent is the preparation of the believer—through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial. And that brings us to...
My FINGERNAILS.
I am giving up biting my fingernails for Lent. I am twenty years old. I have been biting my fingernails for all stinkin' twenty years. (Minus about 2 months last when I had romantic motive not to bite them...) The incentives started around age 5. My parents both made it very clear that I should bust that habit. They gave me starburst for each day I didn't bite, and gave me more privileges the longer my nails got. Around age 10, my parents gave up, and Noelle took over the role as my "personal motivator." She would greet me with Mamba's (my favorite) when I got off the school bus, and play with me for increments of 5-10 minutes longer than she otherwise would have. Noelle painted my nails with clear polish at least weekly, and dipped my fingertips in vinegar when she was especially frustrated. People motivated me with weekend getaways and incentives like manicures and fun girl's nights.
But it never worked.
After twenty years it has become clear that external motivations do not work for me. This reformation has to come from me. Inside me. So, what a better time to let go of this habit that keeps me from being the disciplined (and long finger-nailed) person that I want to be?
I was talking to my friend Jacob about this ridiculous habit, and he gave a great testimonial. He said that at age 19 he just decided to stop cold turkey. And it worked. The first 2 weeks were hard, but after that, the unconscious habit faded and he lost the temptation to “even out” his nails.
I can be a master over my physical body. Just since Ash Wednesday when I recommitted to quit this dirty habit, I have felt that this commitment is definitely a physical one, but a spiritual one as well. I can do hard things, and I can exert self-mastery.
The obstacle before me is not greater than the power behind me.
Situational Irony
10 years ago
6 comments:
Good for you to committing to this publicly. Best of wishes to you. It's a habit I had a really hard time breaking. And same for Rick.
I'm really impressed with your commitment. I love reading about what you are doing in (and out) of Israel. Really great blog entries.
Hey! I was noticing that a person named Jeff Stott is on your blog watch. I was a Stott and my brother's name is Jeffrey Stott. Is your Jeff Stott from Ogden, or northern Utah by any chance? I'd like to ask him who his Stott parents and grandparents are. Just curious.
Stefanie, I have a powerful feeling this is going to be the time it happens for you! But you really "gotta wanna"! Just like you wanted to ace that OT quiz. Like Lot's wife, though, you can't turn and look back and yearn! :) My prayers will be with you.
No wonder we've always been friends. We're both members of the order of nailbiters!! I too have kicked the habit and I can't wait to see your beautiful nails.
I'm so happy to hear these words come from your mouth....it really does have to come from inside and I can feel that you're serious this time. I can't WAIT to see the progress. You should do a weekly update pic or something. Maybe Elyse will finally give your ring back!
Something that really helped me was to keep clippers with me all the time and just always maintain short nails and if I ever felt the need to tear away some skin, I could just pull out the clippers.
Good Luck!
Post a Comment