Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Holiest Christian Site in the World!

As you probably know, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, known as the Church of the Resurrection to Eastern Orthodox Christians, is a church in the Old City of Jerusalem. It stands on a site that encompasses both Golgotha, or Calvary, where Jesus was crucified, and the tomb (sepulchre) where he was buried.
This is the "Stone of Unction" welcoming visitors to the church. This is where Jesus' body was anointed and prepared for burial.
I know this will not be the first time I say this, but singing and music is such a big aspect of this program. We as students take every opportunity we get to sing in the holy sites and acoustically wonderful places we go. The coptic church is directly above the church of the Holy Seplechure. I have been to these sites a few times now, to really cement them into my memory. This picture at the entrance of the coptic church was taken before splitting ways to discover more wonders of the Old City:

4 comments:

Julie T said...

Gee, I'm sure we must have visited, but I don't remember us stopping at the Holiest site in the world 15 years ago! I am so glad you are making repeated visits because I guarantee you will think you can never forget, but you do...I'm also so happy that your group takes every possible opportunity to sing and enjoy the resulting spirit-that makes great memories too and also impacts others for good!

Heather said...

I admit that i was disappointed a bit by this site. I found the hills where we sang shepherd carols to be more inspiring than this incense-filled room.

Noelle said...

I agree with Mom...having the chance to sing together often has got to make such an impactful memory for you. How fun.

Bryan Tanner said...

You know Whitney used to be in my ward, right?