Monday, February 23, 2009

Mt. of Temptation

"Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, ‘If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.’ Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" [Matthew 4:1-4].
The mountains above the Judean wilderness are home to a Greek Orthodox monestary where monks still live today. It was at this site where Jesus spent 40 days and nights fasting and meditating. It is presumed that he lived in a cave that is still there today, and leaned on a rock like this one as he and Satan had this exchange found in Matthew 4:8-10:

"... Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve"


Enjoy this view of the Jordan valley, and just know that climbing to these caves took a set of strong legs and healthy lungs :)


Brother Huff and I walked down the mountain together. He's a good guy that Brother Huff. It's so fun to be friends with my teachers outside of class. Well, we may not actually be on "friends" terms after that last quiz of his. I cried for the first time since arriving in Israel. I literally FAILED his quiz, even after a little over 2 hours of studying. Perhaps you don't believe me: I filled in 10/30 answers, and I anticipate that I got 7 of those correct. But, I like Brother Huff a lot even if he does ask minutely detailed trivia... :)

7 comments:

Bryan Tanner said...

I'm liking the upadated look of your blog Stef. I voted in the survey and want to see more of EVERYTHING!

Julie T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie T said...

It's a good thing to fail at something once in a while just to keep us humble! Don't worry- I'm sure you'll still come out with a B in the class!

Noelle said...

That's so cool you get to go all those places and see the actual locations where Christ was.

Shawna said...

So you're not big on trivia--that's OK! You are big on testimony, commitment, love, and kindness.

Hermana Whitehead said...

Great pictures.

You probably did better than you thought on the quiz. And if he grades on the curve...even better.

Heather said...

Br. Huff looks almost exactly the same. Did you say hi for me? Did he remember our game that's like Nertz? What's it called . . .Amish somethin?