Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Pyramids of GIZA

Did you know that:

-Each pyramid is a tomb for just 1 person?
-The first pyramid (Khufu's pyramid) was constructed over a 20 year period using 2 million 3 thousand blocks?

-The Great Pyramid was the tallest man-made structure in the world for over 3,800 years?
-None of the 3 pyramids are built on foundations? Just strong, rocky ground.
-The site of the pyramids used to be near a branch of the Nile river? They transported the stones on boats.
-The younger the Pharoah, the more elaborate his tomb/pyramid.

6 comments:

Noelle said...

Very interesting facts. Lets here about what you did there. Like did you take a tour? did you spend an entire day at the pyramids? What were they like inside etc. I love the last pic, way to think of creative poses.

NatalieD said...

Knowing you, I thought you'd post a picture of you atop one of the pyramids.

Shawna said...

I love your joyous HIGH jump!!

Marcindra LaPriel said...

This is the best picture ever. It's even better than the diving picture...and that's saying something

Heather said...

You definAtely got the most air. I love Egypt. I must take Rick there someday.

Bryan Tanner said...

Great pictures again Stef!

I didn't know that the Egyptians didn't use foundational stones. It makes sense to me though--what are foundational blocks? They are just more stones on the ground.