
FUN
I was so excited to get out into the Bizaar streets of Luxor. If you know me well, you know street shopping is my favorite. I went with Chris Ricks' group but ended up hopping around. It is fun to look at all the cool things (papyrus, scarves, jewelry, shoes, t-shirts...) the vendors are selling adn good fun to bicker about prices. Until I got just plain:

ANNOYED
It took about 10 minutes for me to switch from having fun to being utterly annoyed. The merchants were so up in my face and pushy! (But at least I didn't come away with bruises and pinch marks like I did from China.) They tell me all sorts of compliments and invitations like "You have beautiful eyes" and "Come sleep with me?" (Those kind of comments were from the poeple with English skills. Some just desperately shout "HALLO. OBAMA. DOLLARS!") Some of their compliments are too dirty to be posted publicly, but some other funny ones were "You break my heart!" and "I want you for my wife!" It just got so old and so repetitive... After being annoyed for a while, I began to get:
ANGRY
I was mad about the innapropriate things they said to me. Unfortunately there is really nothing you can do unless you want to start a fistfight in the street. You just have to accept it and walk on. All the vendors would hound me at the same time, trying to push their junk on me. I was so flustered by the chaos all around me, and it being pitch black dark didn't help much either.
I was straight up mad until my concious got involved, and I became:
It broke my heart to look around and see the lifestyle these Egyptians lead. They have so little and work so hard for food. It broke my heart to say no to the 3 yr. old asking for food and turn away from the 90 year old man feebly perched by his vegetable scales. It broke my heart to elbow through desperate parents seeking to provide for their children. THey are simply doing what it takes to survive. I expect this emotion will always stay with me, but it sure became less prominent after I felt:
I have no patience for inappropriate behavior. Don't worry Beeg, I wasn't afraid to raise my voice in public and tell people not to touch me. All I can say is, thank goodness for the protective guys in our group who make it their priority to defend us girls!
5 comments:
Praise the boys for defending and protecting our girls! Amen!
That is a memorable trip! Thanks for being wise and applying your street smarts. We pray for your safety each day and are grateful for your protectors!
So what did you buy in Egypt? I'm dying to hear. Joni has my old calling, by the way. She'll be fabulous.
What do you mean by "Violated?" I'm happy you have boys with you. How many marriage proposals are you up to now?
Bravo Stef!
I was wondering when this post would happen; I didn't think it would be so soon. Maybe once you visited Africa or South America.
Goodonya.
Post a Comment