-Countries around the world take credit for ideas sprouted in Egypt. (Ex: The Australian boomerang and Russian stacking dolls.)
-I have no right to claim being "craftsy." Egyptians rise above the level of craftiness I could ever dream of attaining.
-Sometimes you should just trust endowed members and take pictures of ancient hieroglyphics even if you don't yet understand it.
-Inflation is applicable to camel rides.
-Washing your face and brushing your teeth with Dasani definitely qualifies you as a water snob.
-Hand stitching the crotch of old jeans does not hold :(
-The sleeping cab on an overnight train is not as romantic and posh as "White Christmas" makes it seem.
-The Hard Rock Cafe is about the atmosphere, not the food.

-I get most frustrated with myself when a photo I take is just 1m off and ruins the composition of the whole shot.
-The Kibbutz life is very attractive in third world countries.
-Doing the Hokey Pokey in a large group makes any famous site more memorable! Especially inside the 2nd pyramid.
-I could really get used to staying in hotels that provide place settings with 3 forks.
6 comments:
I love all your Egypt posts. I would LOVE to go there. I also was under the impression that the Russians got their idea of a "matroska" doll from Japan...but maybe the Japanese got it from Egypt, who knows.
As far as Hard Rock is concerned, I remember thinking the food was FABULOUS in China and even when we were in Russia. Granted, we didn't have pita and hummus to snack (more like rice and borsch) on as we were traveling :) Eating it in the U.S., though, not liking it so much!
I just saw a picture of you in the bathroom with a girl. Could her name possibly be VALERIE? And might she have possibly gone to school at OREM HIGH?
Tell her I say hello.
Thanks for the sound bites. It was so awesome to talk to you tonight. Enjoy Masada and let us know how you liked the hike!
I have never seen poverty like in Egypt. Did you stop the bus and meet with a nomadic tribe by chance? The leaders begged us NOT to give them chapstick under any conditions. A few uses of that, then it's gone and you're really hurtin.
I have actually never eaten in a Hard Rock in any other countries. I do know though, in Asia, we were totally ready for some fatty American food after a few weeks. We would have loved to find one.
I smiled the who time while reading this! Powerful post Stef. My favorite image was doing the hokie-pokie in large groups. It reminds me of Dancing Matt, a famous tourist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWUrj22pRD0
Post a Comment