Alexis (on the right) informed us over 8 shekel falafels in town that the natural, spontaneous smile I seek for as a photographer are called "duchenn."Wiki "Duchenn smile" and this is what you'll get: "Although many different types of smiles have been identified and studied, researchers have paid particular attention to an anatomical distinction first recognized by French physician Guillaume Duchenne. A Duchenne smile involves contraction of both the zygomatic major muscle and the orbicularis oculi muscle... Duchenne smiles indicate genuine spontaneous emotions since most people cannot voluntarily contract the outer portion of the orbicularis oculi muscle."
My greatest successes as a photographer have come once I have activated the shutter, and the subject actually relaxes! It's in that .2 seconds you get the real duchenn :) Anyway, we had a great day in town. It started out with millions of people all debating on where to go next. So, me, Elyse, Annie and Alexis just broke off and went exploring. Here are some of the great things that come with wandering hidden streets and digging into the city:
Little boys lost in alley ways:

Kids stretching at Jewish day school (just above the Western Wall):

Men carrying flowers through cobblestone streets:


Suzie Skinner is simply the best!

I have been hassled in the past for posting "disgusting" (what I find intriguing) pictures, so I will not subject you to my pictures of the meat market. But just know that I have several AWESOME pics, and that my animal anatomy lesson (in English) from a local was a highlight of the day!
6 comments:
I love the pictures of the lost boy and the man with flowers--classic!
Why don't you stick those "intruiging" ones in your Photography blog?
"duchenn." I think I thaw that on PBS! (Actually, a show call Lie to Me.)
How interesting, Duchenn is a real word for that type of smile? Coolness.
That's why it's the most important for a photographer to be able to create rapport with her subjects. ANd to keep on clicking. You're awesome.
So I've been catching up on your blog posts and I was trying to place Alexis' face. She knows Taylor and was at her bridal shower/bachelorette party thing...and we've met previously. You had previous connections with at least a few of your Jeru crew. (Jayne from your ward/fhe and now Alexis). Geez...I hope you are having so much fun without us. (P.S. Don't let them replace us!! Even if the may be your new favorites!)
I love you and I never forget about you.
Post a Comment