
This is a 1750-foot tunnel carved during the reign of Hezekiah to bring water from one side of the city of David to the other. Hezekiah's Tunnel together with the 6th century tunnel of Euphalios in Greece are considered the greatest works of water engineering technology in the pre-Classical period. (Can you tell I'm in an ancient Near Eastern Studies course?) Had it followed a straight line, the length would have been 1070 ft (335m) or 40% shorter. The tunnel is curved in shape because it was constructed by two teams of excavators who just dug and dug until they met in the middle.
In 2 Chronicles 32:30 we read, "It was Hezekiah who blocked the upper outlet of the Gihon spring and channeled the water down to the west side of the City of David."
Ryan Rampton and Jayne (don't you love how she spells that?) rock the headlamp too!
After we came out of the tunnel, we were standing on these pegs for some pictures.
One thing led to the next, and we were playing "monkeys" in the pool. I did feel pretty bad for the taxi drivers who took us back to the JC after :( I hope their seats aren't molding now.



These are my jeans that ripped in the crotch (back in Egypt). I wore them this day because I knew they'd get nasty in the tunnel and I didn't want to sacrifice my only pair of comfortable jeans. Thankfully, you can't see the huge tear in any of these pictures, but it is definitely there. I ended up tying my hoodie around my waist once I got out of the tunnel. Whew, it felt good to be modest again! With only 2 pair of pants to my name, what was I supposed to do?
6 comments:
This was our first outing, so funny to see you squeeze it in towards the end. We had a great water fight too. Just too hard to resist. And no Center decorum to worry about!
So...I totally have the same picture of me in the tunnel, where I climbed up on the wall. The water level was only to our knees though in the summer. I'm glad to see you are still sporting the headlight from NZ, but jeans! Cotton is rotten stef, remember! :) Glad to see you are having fun. Take care.
Bwahahahahaahahah!
That's awesome. I love how you all splashed around together at the end. That looks so fun. :)
Love ya!
Sure is nice that you all are so good at remembering how to play! :) So that will free up a little room in your suitcase when you tell those denim damsels good-bye!
looks like all of your "seats" got moldy on this outing!
:)
Post a Comment