
There is a center for Muslim kids with cerebral palsy or downs just down the road from the JC. I really want to get better at connecting with people with disabilities, but seriously, maybe I should just let it go and leave that to people with natural skills... I never know how to play with them, and I get all awkward and nervous.
Anyway, I had more fun talking/signing with the Muslim mothers :) They were SO funny! I learned that if they want to do something really crazy and get out of their "Muslim box," they get a cool haircut and dye their hair! They say nobody sees it under their head wraps, so they like to make it colors like orange, purple and red. So funny huh?

My favorite was the little babies with the stickers on their foreheads :) So cute!
4 comments:
I never would have guessed that about the hair dye. How interesting.
So glad you were able to get some volunteering in while there. It is vital to always look outside yourself. I'm proud to be your sister.
Somehow, the hair dye does NOT surprise me, although I hadn't heard about that. Great cultural tidbits you're picking up.
Yeah, I bet they wouldn't have told you that at the JC! As far as giving up, never do it! Change just equals 1) an awareness of the need and then 2) acceptance of the need. Then "that which we persist in...."
When you help a disabled child, I think you are really helping three: 1)the child 2) his parents and 3)yourself! :)
One time in the FLSR, I accidentally knocked and walked in on an Arab girl (as people typically do in Provo apartment complexes) who had her head draping removed. She SCREAMED and pushed me out of the door.
She had black hair.
Post a Comment