Monday, March 16, 2009

How Great Thou Art

O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.
Mt. Sinai, Egypt

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Tel Aviv, Israel

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.
Provo Canyon, Utah

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!
Jerusalem, Israel

And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.
Upolu, Samoa

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.

North Island, New Zealand

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!
When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.

San Felipe, Mexico

Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,
And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!"
Samammish, Washington

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

Wanaka, South Island, New Zealand


What a beautiful, beautiful world. I cannot help but proclaim "How Great Thou Art!"

I am having my first bout of homesickness in a long, long time.  The last time I remember being sincerely homesick was in 6th grade when I spent a week at BYU's gymnastics camp.  I always miss my family when we are apart, but this time is different.  Like, I actually understand the "sick" part of the term "homesick."  I feel lame for wanting to be close to them when I am here in Israel living the dream... but I just miss my family.  What can I say?  It's hard to believe that we are so grown up and spread apart leading our own unique lives these days.  I sometimes long for the days when we fought over dish duty and complained about yard work :)  


It is easier for me to be away from my family as I marvel at the beauty all around me, and anticipate spending the eternities with the people I love most!

7 comments:

Marcindra LaPriel said...

Stefanie,
Once again your photography has proven amazing. I particularly like Samammish, Washington. I need to get myself a camera sometime soon.

Noelle said...

Why thank you Marci, that one I can claim.....;)Stef, this was a great post, lovely pictures and lovely sentiments. Love and miss you! SSSN

Amy Grigg said...

I love, love, love your photoessay. Beautiful.
Amy

Jeremy said...

Solid post.

Heather said...

This was beautiful - you'll be so glad to look back on this one later.

Julie T said...

Loved it! Poetry in motion-color, words, music, senses...And this is only terrestrial! Just imagine! I miss you and all the fam so much too! Maybe we should form a big, extended family kibbutz and invite all the hardest workers we know to join us?!

Bryan Tanner said...

BEA-UTIFUL!

My favorite place is Samoa.