I can't wait to deepen my love of the New Testament. I do love the New Testament; but I am embarrassed to say that I think I love it
more through association and for its ability and consistency in
supporting the Book of Mormon than for the New Testament itself.
A quote highlighted in Wilson’s class by President Hinckley in a regional
conference on Feb. 10, 1996 impressed me. He then said, “Whenever
a man has a true witness in his heart of the living reality of the
Lord Jesus Christ, all else will come together as it should. . .That
is the root from which all virtue springs among those who call
themselves Latter-day Saints.” So where should we turn as faithful
members who yearn to have all "come together?" The New Testament!
I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know that it testifies of
our Savior. But I look forward to the time when I can stand at the
pulpit and express my testimony of the Bible as it bears witness of
Christ. I have some catch-up to play in terms of the Old Testament,
but I know that as I put my time and heart into a rigorous study of
Christ's life in the New Testament, I will be blessed with a knowledge
and belief of Christ's ministry from a biblical perspective.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints centers in and around
our Savior Jesus Christ. The familiar verse in 2 Nephi 26:25 in our
very own Book of Mormon, proclaims that "We talk of Christ, we rejoice
in Christ, we preach of Christ." From a doctrinal standpoint, all of
the LDS principles and practices tie back to the centrality of our
Savior and His ministry. We begin our eighth Article of Faith
declaring that "We believe the Bible to be the word of God..." But do
members so often exert all their focus on the Book of Mormon and the
excitement of the restoration that we forgo a serious study of what we claim to be the core of our religion? The living Christ?
From a more practical perspective, my experience in the Church has
taught me that we do focus on the New Testament. A good example of
this is evident in the BYU 1st stake's theme and challenge for all
people to "Come Unto Christ." President Wilkie made very clear to
every student in our stake that we must take His invitation to rise
from our current place and move forward, closer unto Christ. Every
apartment in our boundary had a public image of the Savior to help us
remember Him always. Stories from the New Testament are used in
church lessons and often included in General Conference addresses. Our
church focuses on the Savior. We are taught to live by His precepts
and emulate the prototype He showed here on earth.
The scriptures teach us of Christ’s role in the pre-mortal realm. First of all, He was the firstborn spiritually (given the birthright-extra responsibility) and the only begotten of the Father physically. Secondly, in John 1:3 we learn that He is the creator of all worlds. Maybe He understood the elements enough to control them while here on earth because he created them. I know every detail of each of my quilts, and the unique aspects of my own crafting projects, so I think I can kind of understand how creating earths gave Christ the ability to manipulate the elements. And thirdly, Christ was chosen and anointed as the savior, redeemer and deliverer of all mankind (Rev. 13:8)
Following a study of the pre-mortal Christ, His mortal birth takes on much more meaning. Have you ever approached the ago-old nature vs. nurture debate with a look at Christ’s influences? I don’t know how exactly it is divvied up- whether it be 50/50% or 70/30%... But I do believe that Christ’s nature included both manifest and latent divinity.
I also believe that Heavenly Father chose Joseph and Mary to raise him on earth not just to provide a pillow and food, but to raise him well. Once Mary discovers her call to bear the son of God, she responds saying “Be it unto me according to thy word.” (Luke 1:38) According to my personal interpretation of this verse, Mary had straight priorities, an incredible devotion to God, complete obedience, and a submissive spirit. Do you think it was easier for Jesus to react to His own trials with an attitude of obedience and devotion because of the way his mom responded to tough times? In Hebrews 5:14 we see that Christ is given “Grace for grace.” According to the same principles we live by today, Christ attains as much enabling power as He is willing to give. Does that mean that He was not born with an infinite amount of grace, but attained His potential through good decisions and behaviors? Just something to think about.
I am striving to remember my testimony of the Savior that I have had
since before this mortal existence. I am grateful for the desire and
motivation that I have been given to learn of Christ's life.
I am glad to finally study the four gospels harmonically and discover how
these testaments are similar and different as they testify of Christ.
Coming from a highly detail-oriented, historical study of the Old
Testament, I am especially excited to use history as a means of
flavoring what is really meaningful and applicable to me in the New
Testament. I really believe that as I read, gain external insights
about, and seek to learn from the author's perspective in each
account, I will gain a greater context and deeper understanding for
the life and ministry of our Savior.
Situational Irony
10 years ago
5 comments:
Ditto! One of my most favorite mission experiences was the process of reading the harmony of the Gospels in the Bible Dictionary (pg 684). Incredibly powerful.
Okay, two solid posts in a row.
Great post. Thanks for sharing it with us all.
I haven't done that for years! I'm turning pages, 683, 684! I'm studying the parables in the New Testament right now and loving that.
What a wonderful address. Thanks Stef for sharing that with us.
Post a Comment