Sunday, March 22, 2009

A lesson from John.

In John 5:35, Jesus characterizes John as “a burning and a shining light.”  Jesus says in Luke 7:28 that “Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist.” I think Jesus gave John that accolade for a greater reason than because they were good friends.  (Considering their mothers kinship, the boys must have been friends growing up.  Think of the influence of a good friend. From Christ’s response to the news that John was beheaded, we see that they must have been very close!)  Perhaps Jesus considers John to be one of the greatest prophets because he gave his time, talents and energy to the Lord.  More meaningful that that, though, is the fact that John’s mission to prepare the way for our Savior was one of courage and faith.  It is not easy to be a forerunner. John was a good example of someone who set the stage and didn’t exactly see things take shape.  John didn’t get to see all the fruits of his labors, but his work was essential in creating an atmosphere and mentality among the people that would be suitable for Christ’s ministry.  Do I have courage enough to do things that will prepare the way?  Will I invest my time and talents because the Lord needs me, not because He rewards me?  Do I require recognition and feedback for the things I do when I should really be doing my duties to fulfill Heavenly Father’s will?  

3 comments:

Julie T said...

Those really are burning questions and important ones for each of us to continually ask ourselves!

Bryan Tanner said...

I know, if I were in the Savior's position, I would have foreordained one of my closest, most-trusted friends to be near me in the carrying out of my divine mission.

Without John, none of the 12 Apostles would have even known about Jesus of Nazareth.

Heather said...

I was just thinking about the cousin relationship between John and the savior this week as I read about John and his locusts and honey. The elder, the prophet, the humble. What an example.