
(This is the Kibbutz member in charge of welcoming guests/visitors and answering questions. If I ever find myself with 6 months to kill and ticket to Israel, I would SERIOUSLY consider volunteering at a Kibbutz. The best way I can think to describe this lifestyle would be to compare it to Jonas' life in the book "The Giver." Except these people can see in color :) I took an immediate and extreme liking for the "Yot Vatta" Kibbutz located at the border between Israel and Jordan.
A kibbutz is a socialist society where everyone contributes and everyone receives according to their needs. The size of a kibbutz has a huge range, but most of the ones around here vary between 300-500 members. Every member is voted in after a 2 year trial period, used to predict whether a person will be an asset or hinderment to the group. Some members stay for just 3-6 months, while others had been part of the kibbutz for generations.
(I went to mount this Theno's-esque cow, and discovered that it is not in fact secured to the ground. So here I am falling off...) Kibbutzen have community resources like a swimming pool, a doctor's office (free to members) a cafeteria (where all food is paid for and prepared...). Nobody pays for housing or bills of any sort, and people work in jobs selected for them by the 2 head honcho "secretaries" responsible for the organization of the work force.
They do a lot of farming and have an incredibly successful dairy. (At least at Yot Vatta) This is where most of the income for the kibbutz is from, but they do get money from handicrafts and other things as well.
The dining area in the Kibbutz is the most popular hang out spot. Like LDS people get territorial over pews, members of the kibbutz have unspokenly designated spots in the cafeteria. there is lots of gossip that goes on in a Kibbutz, our tour guide compared it to the worst possible American soap opera! Often times children raised within the kibbutz develop the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality and leave the kibbutz once they turn 18. But more often than not, they soon realize how good they had it in the socialist group and apply to join the ranks again. If members marry outside the kibbutz, their spouse begins the 2 year waiting period. Most of the time, they get accepted, but it is definitely not guaranteed. Members meet non-members when they go out shopping, and when they join the army at age 18.
A kibbutz is a socialist society where everyone contributes and everyone receives according to their needs. The size of a kibbutz has a huge range, but most of the ones around here vary between 300-500 members. Every member is voted in after a 2 year trial period, used to predict whether a person will be an asset or hinderment to the group. Some members stay for just 3-6 months, while others had been part of the kibbutz for generations.
They do a lot of farming and have an incredibly successful dairy. (At least at Yot Vatta) This is where most of the income for the kibbutz is from, but they do get money from handicrafts and other things as well.
The dining area in the Kibbutz is the most popular hang out spot. Like LDS people get territorial over pews, members of the kibbutz have unspokenly designated spots in the cafeteria. there is lots of gossip that goes on in a Kibbutz, our tour guide compared it to the worst possible American soap opera! Often times children raised within the kibbutz develop the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality and leave the kibbutz once they turn 18. But more often than not, they soon realize how good they had it in the socialist group and apply to join the ranks again. If members marry outside the kibbutz, their spouse begins the 2 year waiting period. Most of the time, they get accepted, but it is definitely not guaranteed. Members meet non-members when they go out shopping, and when they join the army at age 18.
I love Kibbutzen. That's the bottom line. I love the spirit of Kibbutz. The idea of everyone doing their part and getting what they need. Our entire time on the kibbutz, my friends and I got each other napkins, peeled oranges for each other, applied chapstick for one another, and even spoon-fed portions of our dinner to our neighbor. And don't worry, all these acts of service were prefaced with " In the spirit of Kibbutz :) "
Do you want more info? Let me know if you have any questions. I may be able to locate the answer in my little black book. What can you do to live in the "spirit of Kibbutz" today?
6 comments:
Wow I didn't realize that societies like that existed or that they were so hard to get invited into. Thanks for the details, this was a most interesting post.
I cringe thinking you're wearing your jump rope shoes in the dirty, dusty Middle East
I'd like to think I could live in a kibbutz, but I think I'll feed myself.
There are so many cool opportunities. Great job being a reporter - squeeze all the juice from every orange.
With your new-found guts, maybe you should consider becoming a photo journalist! You should definitely line up all your posts to enter automatically so we don't miss any and get them all by the 30th or so of April!
Nice picture of you and the cow.
I noticed the jump rope shoes too. I dreamed about jump roping last night.
Post a Comment