Thursday, March 19, 2009

"Mormons, We Love You."

The Mormons have an awesome reputation in the Old City.  We look happy, we are friendly to people, and we pay on time.  Oh, and we pay A LOT!  That might have something to do with why they love us so much :)  This whole Jerusalem thing is sort of like a 4-month shopping spree.  Some shopkeepers hassle you as you pass, just desperate to make a sale.  Here is a classic trick:  If they don't reel you into their shop as you're passing, they yell after you, "Excuse me, you dropped something!"  Then, as you turn around they motion as if they are picking something up off the ground and tell you that you left your heart back near their store.  Anyway, not all shopkeepers are like that :)  These are some of my favorites:This guy is sweet. He gives us shirts for 10 sheks less than any of the other t-shirt shops.  It is one of my favorite activities to go in there and pick a print, a color, and make sweet T's.  I only brought 1 t-shirt with my to Jeru, so I feel very justified in buying... several 3 dollar shirts :)  This ninja turtles one is probably my favorite.  There is one funny one I haven't gotten (yet) that has the Puma logo except it says "Pumba" with a little warthog instead of an actual Puma.  

Shaban's is the most famous place in town.  His shop is known by the BYU students and all the LDS tour groups as "The BYU shop."  He has everything.  Seriously 9/10 things I want, Shaban has.  Everything from genie pants, to pottery, purses and dresses, tablecloths, sandals, rings, David and goliath slings... the list never ends.  Oh, he has scripture cases customized for LDS quads of all sizes, and even t-shirts that say "BYU Jerusalem Center."  Shaban is the best!
Omar is a funny man.  A salesman really.  He always tells me "I give you special deal.  I love your family.  You are special to me."  And I pay the same price as everybody else... But Omar is a good guy.  His pieces (Olive wood) are phenomenal!  I love nothing more than to stop by his shop on the way back to the JC and just admire the creativity and craftsmanship of the wood.  I have only purchased 1 piece (they are SO expensive), but I absolutely love my bust of Christ and look forward to displaying it in my home.  

Firshne runs a little photography shop near Shaba's.  I kept telling him how much I loved the pieces, and expressed great interest the process and inspiration for the shots.  Firshne was so nice and offered to take me out on a photo shoot sometime after Galilee.  I hope I can get it together enough to schedule that with him and learn his techniques and favorite spots!

And here is the best part :)  Every time we pass (or even go near) Muhammad's shop, he sings us this sweet song.  I think you'll really like it:

6 comments:

Julie T said...

That was nice of that man to sing for your movie! They can't believe anyone would be willing to remain chaste for so long. They pulled that old your left your heart back here at my shop on us too!

Noelle said...

Thanks for the tour around Jerusalem. I bet you are one of the only brave ones to get pictures with all your favorite shop owners. :) I am still waiting to see what you look like in your Genie pants.

Allison Tanner said...

Those wood figures remind me of the one that is at my house that I think heather gave us. They look beautiful. I love hearing about your experiences in Jerusalem! You will have to let us know if you get to go on a photo shoot.

Bryan Tanner said...

I can't believe you coaxed Muhammad into singing his little, "Virgin Mormon Girl" ditty!


Next, you should try to convince Shaban to model the genie pants for you.

Heather said...

I remember Shaban and Omar, but didn't get photos w/them. Only Aladdin. Good work. That statue was from me Allison. It was from Omar's shop.

Bryan Tanner said...

This may be my favorite J-post so far. I can't get enough of that market singer video. Thanks for posting the original file.

Listen, if you can't find an Indian turban, one of those purple TMNT shirts looks pretty cool. (I've never owned a purple shirt before!)