Monday, March 9, 2009

Amman

Breakfast in Amman was about 5 different forms of bread: rolls, sandwiches, pitas, noodles, and toast. Oh, and we had “hot chocolate” requiring about 10 tablespoons of sugar. I couldn’t bring myself to pour in the sugar, so I had Brother Wilson do it while I wasn’t looking ☺

About 30 minutes into the bus ride our engine sort of exploded. They tried not to scare us or get us riled up, so we just played unknowingly on the bus for about 1.5 hours until they got it worked out. We kept busy on the side of the freeway doing lunges down the isles, speed drills, performing facial talents for the videocamera, playing hands up stands up, and other games that are good for narrow spaces!

And then we made it to Jerash. This was a CLOSE second to Petra for me. Every new column and plaza was a thrill to me. I loved learning about the history and appreciating the physical labor and artistic eye used to create these ancient masterpieces. I just stood in awe at the magnitude of the carvings.
We had a big dance in the amphitheater where we did a train and fun Israeli kicking dances ☺

Next was a horse show. Warriors and horses did about a 45 minute show which was highly entertaining. The performers would do stunts and show us battle postions and then end up ready to kill a man. The audience gave a thumbs up to let him live and a thumbs to the side if we wanted him dead. That’s just how they did it in the olden days. a onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhdv1zCKqxAEq59k9nsmQelJ7qL91-pVf3TrgTVTCoap7YNICyOWv7HYF6PohS9-7KUxjmeSwfRAq9qSAlbiSny4mEed_DcF-6ioNsdDXN5W7Kim3qGhwMM2v1mvsdsziN1DACqFp4EJA/s1600-h/IMG_8317.jpg">

The lunch in Madaba was the most incredible thing I’ve ever eaten. Bubble bread and lots of hummus like sauces and fresh veggies. We got about 7 different meats on a shishkabab and the whole meal was just so tasty! Best meal since I’ve been here!

We next went to a little devotional at the Jordan branch building. The LDS church is not recognized as a church in Jordan yet, so we went to the “cultural center.” There, the branch president taught us abou the history and current state of the church in Jordan. He motivated me to get a better handle on foreign policy and a greater value for my testimony as I study here in a place of such contrast and confusion.
Elyse and I got McFlurrys that night, after hitting up the ripped DVD store where I bought Kung Fu Panda! Bry, thanks for introducing me! Anyway, then we were off to Mecca Mall. Yep, that’s right! And yep, it was just as good as it sounds. Almost as posh as Bellevue Square, the 6 story mall kept us busy pretty much all night. But better than anything was our taxi home. The taxis are SO cheap in Jordan! It cost less than 2 dollars for 4 people to have a 30 min. ride. Plus, our taxi had cool neon lights in the back, and a hook up to the American radio station. You better believe we were rocking out! I didn’t want to get out of the taxi when we got back to the Ambassador hotel in Amman. I really wanted to use our last 20 minutes of free time to just taxi hop. But alas, I went up and got ready for the next day of adventuring!

4 comments:

Noelle said...

You got some great pictures on this post!! And...I AM SO EXCITED about your longer nails. You still have a ways to go, so don't give up yet! The taxi hopping cracked me up. I want to taste what you're tasting!

Julie T said...

Great post and I'm also so proud of you on the nails! If you can do it for 40 days, you know you can do it for life-if you choose!
Know what you meant about the hot chocolate-yuck! I always just give that up when you have to sweeten it yourself-it never is worthwhile anyway. So, how many actually got the sideways thumbs? Did anyone get a video clip for us??

Heather said...

I LOVED that field trip. I was the lucky one who got to try out the acoustics and sing from the sweet spot without a mic and everybody could hear still hear me. Amazing designers. Good work on the nails.

Bryan Tanner said...

I AM SO JEALOUS of your Colosseum adventure! You guys look like you are having a super-duper time.

p.s. I love Kung Fu Panda!