Thursday, March 5, 2009

Pools of Bethesda

After over a year of negotiations with the owner, BYU's Museum of Art acquired the painting "Christ Healing the Sick at Bethesda" painting from Denmark for their "Beholding Salvation" exhibit. I remember going to the MOA and admiring the painting as I told a friend that I had been accepted to the BYU Jerusalem program. BYU was lucky to obtain this painting through a series of miracles. At the unveiling, museum director Gray spoke about how art reflects the identity of those who create and appreciate it. This work, he said, declares that "we are people who wish to be good, and to be better than we were. We wish to lift, to love, to heal, to empower."

President Bateman read the text of the miracle (John 5:2–9) and asked, "What is this about?" He answered his question. "It's about the resurrection. And when our day comes and we are told to take up our bed and walk, we will not be able to say we have no man to help us—because of the Atonement."

With this background, I went to visit the pools of Bethesda. It is incredible to behold the sites of the miraculous events of the Old and New Testament here in Jerusalem.

A scripture is posted here on the wall for visitors to remember the story of the sick, yet faithful man who was healed by Christ.


Source: http://ce.byu.edu/cw/womensconference/archive/2008/sharing_stations/pdf/35b.pdf

5 comments:

Bryan Tanner said...

Hey Puff, didn't you and I go see that MOA exhibit together? It really was SOMETHING! I remember standing in front of the painting for like 20-30 minutes. (Which is like 2-3 hours for someone with my attention capacity.)

Great post.

p.s. Whit's Boa is wonderful as far as I can say.

Julie T said...

I love the combination of history and personal experience you offer us-great quotes too! I just met with two ward members who have this painting up in their homes!

Noelle said...

I love that painting. It's so much bigger in real life than I ever though. I'm so glad BYU has it in their collection.

Heather said...

Now I want to go see the real painting in person! That spot was one of my favorites in Jerusalem. I just can't tell you how happy i am for you to be having these wonderful experiences.

Shawna said...

I just realized that I'm living the New Testament through your eyes/pictures. Thanks for taking the time to create great posts.