That's right. Academic bulemia. That means taking in a bunch of information, and throwing it right back out. I took 2 finals today, 1 INTENSE New Testament final yesterday, and there are 2 toughies coming next week. I go to bed between 12-1am (never past 2am Dad!) and get up to study again at 5am. I don't know how long I can handle this schedule! I have not been into the city for a week! It is really frustrating to be in the Holy Land, and spend all my time in the same 4 rooms: The lecture hall/testing center, a study room, the cafeteria, and in my bedroom for short spouts of rest. I am just glad today's tests are over, and I now have the luxury of blogging. We have one more 2 hour class from 4-6pm today, and then tonight we are having Israeli folk dance lessons! Then, it is dress up time. At 9pm, my team (the pirates) will go against the Ninjas in an 80 person game of capture the flag! We are totally and completely fenced in, and the security guards are on duty! So bring on the FUN!

This is a picture of a nice Jewish man trying to escape the rain at the Suk the other week. The Suk is a HUGE Jewish market in West Jerusalem where every devout (and even reform...) Jew goes to buy challah (bread) and fresh produce for Shabbat. It is totally the place to be on a Friday afternoon. (Shabbat begins Friday at sundown.) But this day at the Suk, there was a torrential downpour and everybody's kippahs (head coverings) were flying off, and unbrullas flipping inside out. YIKES! Some Jewish men wear expensive (like $300-$800) hats instead of Kippahs. This man put a covering over his for protection from the elements, and I thought this was a nice shot of the side curls :) I LOVE seeing the little, little boys with side curls too, they are so cute!
4 comments:
I really liked the pictures in this post. They give a good feel for what you see on a day to day basis. So was the rain unusual or is that kind of how the weather is this time of year. Is it starting to get scorching? Did you bring the right clothes?
Do you know how to cook any of the Israeli foods you have been enjoying when you return? Do you want to? Okay, as far as the academic bulemia goes, remember, o remember my daughter, my saying how intense it was going to be??? Well, I'm not going to say the words but, _ ____ ___ __! Good luck and get some sleep! I just read a big report saying that no matter how many hours you study, if you don't get enough sleep, the studying won't pay off: children who slept 15 minutes longer got B's instead of C's and A's instead of B's- it can be that dramatic!
Just don't develop academic anorexia, okay?
Good one Natalie. Love the rain hat. Miss you Stef.
Post a Comment