Just to give you a sample:
1. In what magazine and on what day is an article published relating to the Rosetta stone? The Times and Seasons: March 1, 1842
2. Who is Jacob's second wife's second offspring? What is the meaning of the child's name? Bilhah-Nephtali: to wrestle.
3. List the 5 valleys and guarding cities of the Shephelah? AiJalon- Bet Heroml; Sorek- Bet Shemesh; Elah- Azekah; Guvrin- Mershah; Lachich- Lachich
4. What does the Hebrew term "Abaddon" denote? The place of the lost. (Who has even ever heard that term!)
5. What is the meaning of the name of the person who hangs by his hair in an oak tree? Absalom: Father of Peace.
6. Name is the most distinguished Benjamite and who did he "belong" to? Paul belonged to Tarsus in Cilicia
1/10th of Quiz 6 material:
Abimalech
Ahimalech
Achich
Asenath
Abithar
Ashdad
Abigail
Ashtaroth
Asahel
Azariah
Azekah
Amnon
Absalom
Akishar
Amram
Amalek
Asher
Don't worry, I can tell you who these peoples' parents and siblings were, what their names mean, where they are derived from, the exact locations they traversed as ordered by their masters, and how they died. (Many of them were stabbed under the 5th rib.)
But in Huff's defense, all the information is in the text. The questions are fair, and clearly, I need to reform my study habits. I mean, he addresses some of the information tested on in class :)
I just want to take this opportunity to give a shout out to my sister Heather who took OT from Huff here in Jerusalem 9 years ago. She rocked every quiz and set the high score on the final. Heather provoked Brother Huff with the challenge: "ask me anything!" She made her own memory game with the Bible Dictionary terms, and discussed the text over a pita sandwich in the Oasis. I am proud of Heather- but a little nervous that her enthusiasm for the Old Testament set a standard in our teacher's mind that simply can't be reached again!

I just got back quiz 6, and I FINALLY earned a 30/30!!! Wow, that was difficult! But, I can't get too confidant-the final is yet to come.
P.S. I HATE grade distributions. I like my classmates, and I want them to do well. But, I am learning to look out for #1. It's the only way to get the grade I need.
4 comments:
That's the spirit! You just step on them, Stefanie! Squash them, use them as a ladder! jk! Really, congratulations! It's wonderful to know that when it's important enough to you, you can do it! My brain is no longer in a place where I can command it to memorize all those bits of minutia-names whose letters only slightly differ. One more biggie and then the New Testament will seem as basic as a freshly caught lake trout or a fresh fig!
Wow, congratulations! I'm so proud of you!!! Heather really was quite the academic wasn't she?
Yeah, I sure remember those quizzes. Tough stuff. I failed my first quiz at the Jerusalem Center too, but it was a Near Eastern Studies one, I believe.
Congrats on your perfect quiz score! I remember the map quiz being muy dificil.
You're going to come back to the states a mega-scriptorian! Keep up the great work Puff.
Post a Comment